Sunday, April 29, 2012

Steal Like an Artist




I read a lovely post on Brainpickings on this book, Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. I dropped by the bookstore for some procrastination and found they had the book, which to my happiness turned out to be more of an experience than a book and turned out to be absolutely steal-worthy. Except that I bought it. Cuz that would be criminal activity where I live. And I finished devouring it in less than an hour.


Anyways. Here’s the low-down:
1. Steal like an artist
2. Don’t wait until you know who you are to get started
3. Write the book you want to read
4. Use your hands
5. Side projects and hobbies are important
6. The secret: do good work and share it with people
7. Geography is no longer our master
8. Be nice (the world is a small town)
9. Be boring (it’s the only way to get work done)
10. Creativity is subtraction

Dispersed with interesting quotes, this one was my favorite: “The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life.” - Jessica Hische.

What do you do to procrastinate? I read and make up conversations and scenarios in my head and talk to myself and daydream. Don’t psychoanalyze that.

OK this book is inspiring, get on it!
www.austinkleon.com

No comments: